Any Amazon links below are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no cost to you if you click and finalize an order. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Best Recipe for Applesauce Cake
Well, it’s hard to believe it, but we’re already at the end of National Apple Month! That brings us to our final apple concoction… applesauce cake!
Fresh applesauce is wonderful all by itself. But sometimes, you might want to spruce it up a bit. Or maybe you have a bunch left over in the fridge that needs to be used, stat. Either way, an applesauce cake is an easy (and delicious!) way to use some applesauce.
Tips and Tricks
Like many desserts on here, this applesauce cake recipe uses Crisco butter shortening. It’s just one small part of what makes it so good!
This cake is moist and delicious on its own, but if you’d like, you can also add a frosting or icing of your choice. We like to use the caramel frosting recipe from these zucchini cupcakes.
Applesauce Cake Recipe
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ½ cup Crisco butter shortening
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups applesauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease 13 x 9 x 2 pan.
- Blend dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add shortening, water, and applesauce, and beat with mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add eggs, and beat 2 more minutes. Scrape bowl to ensure all ingredients are mixed.
- Stir in walnuts and/or raisins, if using, and pour into pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and frost if desired.