Any Amazon links below are affiliate links, which means I earn a commission at no cost to you if you click and finalize an order. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cabbage Companion Plants: Full List of Pairings
Cabbage is a great cold weather crop, but it also attracts a variety of pests. Having the right cabbage companion plants in the garden can help bolster its overall health, and some may help keep pests away.
The best cabbage companion plants include beets, carrots, onions, peas, rosemary, borage, and marigolds. These are just a handful, though – read on for the full list!
Full List of Cabbage Companion Plants
The following plants can help deter pests, improve soil quality, offer shade, or attract beneficial insects.
Vegetables to Plant with Cabbage
• Beans, Peas, and Other Legumes – Legumes provide shade when planted to the south of cabbage and fix nitrogen in the soil.
• Beets, Carrots, and Parsnips – These root crops occupy space deep underground, while cabbage flourishes above the soil line. That means they won’t compete for nutrients or space, and it’s thought that their deep taproots can bring some nutrients closer to the cabbage’s roots.
• Celery – Celery may repel cabbage pests.
• Onions, Leeks, Scallions, and Shallots – These allium family members can all help prevent pests and take up complementary space below ground in the garden.
• Potatoes – Potatoes may improve the soil and act as a flea beetle trap crop.
Flowers to Plant Near Cabbage
• Geraniums – Geraniums can deter pests when planted near cabbage. (They can be used year after year, too – here’s how to overwinter them.)
• Marigolds – Marigolds help repel many common cabbage pests. Plant them around the border of your cabbages for the best results.
• Nasturtiums – Nasturtiums make a great aphid trap crop when planted a short distance away from cabbage.
Herbs to Plant Near Cabbage
These herbs may help cabbage by deterring pests, bringing in beneficial insects, improving soil quality, or in some cases improving cabbage flavor.
• Summer Savory
What NOT to Plant Next to Cabbage
Some plants should be spaced far away from cabbage. This is generally due to stunting one of the plants’ growth or attracting similar pests.
Plants to Avoid with Cabbage
• Corn – Corn can shade cabbage too much.
• Pumpkins and Other Squashes – Pumpkins and other squash varieties can compete with cabbage for space and nutrients.
• Rue – Rue attracts pests and may stunt cabbage growth.
• Strawberries – Cabbage and strawberries compete for nutrients.
• Tomatoes – Tomatoes and cabbage can stunt each other’s growth.
Happy Cabbage Companion Planting!
You should now have a variety of cabbage companion plants to try in your garden this year. If you’re looking for more brassicas companions, check out the guide to kale companion planting.
Leave a Reply