Any Amazon links below are affiliate links, which means I earn a commission at no cost to you if you click and finalize an order. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam with Jello Recipe
It’s rhubarb season! This simple strawberry rhubarb jam recipe only takes 3 ingredients and just a little time split between 2 days.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that you don’t have to spend time chopping up strawberries – the delicious strawberry flavor comes from strawberry Jello mix!
Chopping the Rhubarb
Cut off any leaves and root material from your fresh rhubarb, then peel most of the viney green and red casing off. Cut rhubarb in half lengthwise, and again lengthwise if necessary to get 4 pieces. Chop into small pieces down to the end. However you choose to chop them, you should be left with approximately 1/4 inch cubes of rhubarb.
When planning, don’t forget to start the rhubarb the night before. It allows the rhubarb time to meld with the sugar and get watery, so it’s ready for boiling the next day.
While you might be able to use frozen rhubarb, we’ve never tried it. We always cut it, chopped it, and put it in the fridge with sugar all on the same day. If you try using frozen, let me know how it turns out!
When I make the jam, I just throw the jars, lids, and rims in a big pot and boil them until I need them, but if you want better – safer – guidance, follow these instructions. It’s important to thoroughly sanitize them before canning.
This recipe uses 5 half-pint (aka one cup) canning jars with regular-mouth lids and rims.
This jam should always be stored in the refrigerator, even unopened. Since there are only five cups of the finished product, they don’t take up much space.
You can spread the jam on just about anything, but the very best way is on homemade bread with a little butter.
As far as my family is concerned, this strawberry rhubarb jam with jello recipe is the best there is. We haven’t bothered testing any other since my grandmother started making it many years ago. Try the recipe for yourself, and let me know what you think!
Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- 5 cups fresh, finely chopped rhubarb
- 3 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 3 oz. box strawberry Jello mix
- Harvest rhubarb, and chop it up in small pieces. A good rule of thumb is to split a half inch wide rhubarb stalk in half down the middle, then again (so there are four long pieces) and then chop them all into roughly 1/4 inch size pieces.
- Place chopped rhubarb in a bowl and cover with sugar. Do not stir.
- Cover bowl and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, prep 5 half-pint sized jars, lids, and rims by boiling them in hot water.
- Stir the rhubarb and sugar together and dump into a medium pot.
- Cook on medium heat until boiling, stirring often. Once mixture begins boiling, set timer for 10 minutes and stir constantly.
- Once timer goes off, add packet of strawberry jello and stir until dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Drain jam into prepared jars. Seal off and cool for a half hour, then refrigerate until using.